Summer Celebrations | Helpful Tips
Summer barbecues and celebrations are now upon us in Vero Beach! We, along with American Red Cross, care about your safety while you are out having fun. Found below, we have provided tips and precautions by American Red Cross for when your plans may include fireworks or outdoor grilling.
The safest way to enjoy fireworks is at a public firework show put on by professionals.
If you decide to set off your own at home, we recommend you follow these safety steps:
- Never give fireworks to small children, and never throw or point a firework toward people, animals, vehicles, structures or flammable materials.
- Always follow the instructions on the packaging.
- Keep a supply of water close by as a precaution.
- Make sure the person lighting fireworks always wears eye protection.
- Light only one firework at a time and never attempt to relight "a dud."
National Fire Protection Association states that fireworks start an average of 18,500 fires per year, including 1,300 structure fires. These fires cause an average of $43 million in direct property damage.
- Always supervise a barbecue grill when in use. Don’t add charcoal starter fluid when coals have already been ignited.
- Never grill indoors — not in your house, camper, tent or any enclosed area.
- Make sure everyone, including pets, stays away from the grill.
- Keep the grill out in the open and away from the house, the deck, tree branches or anything that could catch fire.
- Use long-handled tools made for cooking on the grill to keep the chef safe.
National Fire Protection Association also tells us that on average, 10,200 home fires are started by grills each year, and July is the peak month for that to happen.
We hope you enjoy your summer, but most importantly, stay safe. SERVPRO at Vero Beach will answer your call anytime at 772-770-0501.