Be Ready | Hurricane Preparation
The two keys to weather safety is to PREPARE for the risks and to ACT on those preparations when alerted by emergency officials.
Before a Hurricane:
- To begin, you should build an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Know your surroundings
- Learn the elevation level of your property and whether the land is flood-prone.
- Learn hurricane evacuation routes of Vero Beach and how to find higher ground.
- Make plans to secure your property
- Cover all of your home's windows
- Install straps or additional clips to securely fasten your roof to the frame structure.
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well trimmed so they are more wind resistant.
- Clear loose and clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Reinforce your garage
- Plan to bring in all outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans and anything else that is not tied down.
- Determine how and where to secure your boat.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- If in a high-rise building, when high winds are present, be prepared to take shelter on a lower floor because wind conditions increase with height, and in a small interior room without windows.
- Consider building a safe room.