Do’s and Don’ts for Fire and Smoke Damage in Your Vero Beach, FL Home
While fire damage restoration is better left in the hands of professionals, there are some things you can do on your own. On the flip side there are other things you should absolutely avoid.
- DO contact a certified restoration specialist: Immediately contact a certified fire and smoke restoration professional.
- DO turn off utilities: Turn off your water, electric, gas, and miscellaneous utilities.
- DO contact your insurance company: If you intend on filing an insurance claim you may call your insurance company to get the process started.
- DO check your appliances: Empty your freezer and refrigerator. Leave the doors open to prevent mold and mildew.
- DO take care of pets: Remove pets from your fire-damaged home. Lingering soot and smoke can be harmful to them.
- DON’T use your AC, heater or electronics: Wait until a professional arrives on the scene. Turning on electronics can create greater damage.
- DON’T clean walls or clothing: A professional should examine them first and provide advice.
- DON’T eat leftover food: It is most likely not safe to consume due to contamination from smoke, soot, or contaminants introduced to the environment when the fire was being extinguished.
- DON’T wipe away powder from extinguishers: Forgo trying to clean up any staining from the powder discharged by a fire extinguisher.
SERVPRO of Vero Beach