What Is Black Mold?
Most people have heard about “black mold”, whether it be on the news or a worry passed down from their parents, but what actually is black mold? Black mold is infamous and is known as “toxic” despite most molds being able to cause an array of effects. These news reports and stories can be alarming and confusing, but they’re not always the most informative or accessible to the average viewer.
Stachybotrys chartarum, or black mold, is known to cause a variety of effects. These effects are not exclusive to black mold in particular but it is often the scapegoat for mold-related issues. Black mold is commonly the visible mold that property owners find when they look for a suspected mold infestation. The only way to be certain about what type of mold you may have is to have a mold inspection and test done. Many molds may appear the same to the naked eye, so mold testing allows us to know exactly what mold is present and what the mold removal protocol will be. To learn more about what to do if you suspect your property has a mold problem and needs mold mitigation, call us today and check out our Mold Damage Tips.
Learn more about mold and what to do until help arrives by visiting Mold Damage Tips.
How Do I Tell If It’s Black Mold?
Since many types of mold can cause reactions, you should contact us regardless of the color or type of mold. In many instances, multiple types of mold may exist in the same house or structure. If you suspect you have a mold problem, contact SERVPRO of Vero Beach immediately.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today – (772) 770-0501
When water intrudes into your property, mold growth can start in as little as 48 hours. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic, float along in the air, and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor, and that odor can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
Locally Owned Company with National Resources
SERVPRO of Vero Beach is locally owned and operated—so we live and work here too and are proud to be part of this community. We are also part of a national network of over 1,600 Franchises with special Disaster Recovery Teams placed strategically throughout the country to respond to large scale disasters.
We are proud to serve our local communities:
- Vero Beach
- Indian River Shores
- Orchid Island
- Winter Beach