Happy National Fire Safety Month!
October is National fire safety month. The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) has announced this year’s campaign is “Serve Up Safety in the Kitchen!”. As the title implies, this year’s focus is kitchen fire prevention. Did you know cooking is the #1 cause of home fires and home fire injuries? The NFPA recommends the following steps if you have a cooking fire:
- Get out! Close the door behind you when you ou to help contain the fire.
- After you leave, call 9-1-1 or the local emergency number.
- If you try to put out the fire, be sure others are getting out and you have a clear way out.
- Keep a lid nearby when you’re cooking to smother small grease fires. Smother the fire by sliding the lid over the pan and turn off the stovetop. Leave the pan covered until it is completely cooled.
- For an oven fire, turn off the heat and keep the door closed.
We hope these tips will help keep you as safe as possible if you experience a kitchen fire. If your home requires clean up or restoration after a fire, give our office a call at 772-770-0501. We are here to help!