WHEN STORMS OR FLOODS HIT INDIAN RIVER COUNTY SERVPRO OF VERO BEACH IS READY!!
As the weather becomes more unpredictable, it's important to be prepared for severe storms that may occur in Indian River County. Whether you're dealing with tornadoes, hurricanes, or floods, you can protect yourself, your family, and your property.
Below SERVPRO of Vero Beach provides valuable tips on staying safe and secure during severe weather.
When severe weather hits, it's essential to be prepared. Here are some tips to help you stay safe and secure during severe weather:
- Check the National Weather Service website or local news for the latest forecast. Be aware of what severe weather is expected and when it will occur.
- Have a plan. If you have a family, make sure everyone knows the plan.
- During severe weather, watch the National Weather Service or your local news for updates on the situation. Have a NOAA Weather Radio to listen to for updates even if power is lost.
- When severe weather is approaching, protect yourself and your property. Bring any loose items from outside that could become projectiles in high winds. If flooding is expected, take steps to protect your home or business from water damage.
TIPS FOR SEVERE WEATHER PREPARATION
- Clean out rain gutters and downspouts to ensure proper drainage during storms.
- Trim trees and shrubs around your home to prevent damage from falling limbs.
- Secure loose outdoor items like lawn furniture, grills, and toys.
- Have a plan for where you and your family will go if you need to evacuate your home.
- Pack an emergency kit with food, water, first-aid supplies, flashlights, and a battery-operated radio.
BUILDING AN EMERGENCY KIT
If severe weather is headed your way, being prepared is important. Here are some ideas for building an emergency kit: Start with the basics: water, food, first-aid supplies, and a flashlight. Customize your kit based on your specific needs. Consider adding prescription medications, extra batteries, a generator, and pet supplies. Make sure everyone in your household knows where the emergency kit is located and how to use the items inside it. Regularly check and update your emergency kit so it's always ready to go when you need it.
WAYS TO STAY SAFE DURING SEVERE WEATHER
- Stay indoors as much as possible during severe weather.
- Avoid areas prone to flooding or other damage if you must go outside.
- Wear appropriate clothing, including sturdy shoes and a waterproof jacket.
- Pay attention to local weather reports and warnings and be prepared to take shelter.
- Have an emergency kit ready if you lose power or need to evacuate your home
- Keep a close eye on animals during severe weather and bring them inside if possible.
- Be aware of hazards such as downed power lines and broken glass.
No matter what weather event is the cause, always document any damage with photos so you will have them if you need to file a claim for damages. It is best to consult with your insurance company beforehand to be sure.
Whether facing flash floods, tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, or hurricanes, having a plan in place can minimize damage and ensure the well-being of occupants. From securing windows, stocking emergency kits, and inspecting the property, taking proactive steps can make a significant difference.